Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help - Found Bird Nest On Ground.

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. We've had some pretty bad weather recently and a couple of hours ago I found a nest on the footpath close to my house. There were four young chicks inside and no sign of the mother. There are several cats in the vicinity so I decided to take the nest home.

I have transferred the chicks into a mouse cage using the dry grass from the nest as substrate and they have huddled together as before. The chicks have yellowish sacs around the collar which I presume is nourishment until they start feeding properly, but I don't know whether they need water or when I should offer small insect food.

I'm generally pretty good with animals, but my experience with birds is extremely limited and I have no idea what species of bird these are. I can upload a photo tomorrow, however the best info I can give right now is that they are black and the nest was oval, eight inches long and had a spout-like opening.

Any assistance in saving these little guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Help - Found Bird Nest On Ground.

in-ani og nawng ang chicks sir?

or in-ani?

pwede ra nimo ihandfeed sir... get a small syringe and take out the needle... mix kag cerelac then mao imo ipakaon using the syringe... every 2-3 hours raba nimo pakan-on...
    Last edited by choyadgreat; 07-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.

^ Hi, thanks for the response! They look similar to the bottom photo, but less feathers. Do you know the species? What is cerelac?

Quote Originally Posted by reptoid View Post
    ^ Hi, thanks for the response! They look similar to the bottom photo, but less feathers. Do you know the species? What is cerelac?
    gorion guro na sir... Cerelac ba kana gani babies food... mapalit na nimo sa botika... Wheat and milk ang gamita nga flavor...

Okay, I'll try that in the morning. Thanks for the help.

Any pics yet bro? Your story is interesting.

Up Sa iMuNg GiBuHat bRo.........

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarc View Post
    Any pics yet bro? Your story is interesting.
    I'm heartbroken, they all died after a couple of days. I've been researching where I could have gone wrong in case this ever happens again. I really feel so down about it.

Apparently food that is too liquid can be fatal if even a tiny amount enters the airways. Also I suspect that knowing the species could be crucial as offering insect material to a seed eater could cause problems.

I'm going install some strong nesting boxes in the trees on my land to help out the next generation of birds.

u should take good care of them. they look so cute

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast