Page 3 of 236 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism

Default Re: Atheism

agnosticism doesnt believe the claims of ultimate knowledge, from both the secular and non-secular camps. so us agnostics are somewhere in the middle. we think both sides cant prove what they believe and they cant walk their talk so we decide to stay out of it and sit in the middle.

An atheist loves his fellow man instead
    of a God. An atheist believes that heaven
    is something for which we should work
    now, here, on earth, for all men together
    to enjoy. An atheist believes that he can
    get no help through prayer, but that he
    must find in himself the inner conviction
    and the strength to meet life, to grapple
    with it, to subdue it, and to enjoy it. An
    atheist believes that only in a knowledge
    of himself and his fellow man can he
    find the understanding that will help
    him in a life of fulfillment. He seeks to
    know himself and his fellow man rather
    than to know God. An atheist believes
    that a hospital should be built instead of
    a church. An atheist beleves that a deed
    must be done instead of a prayer said.
    An atheist strives for involvement in life
    and not escape into death. He wants dis-
    ease conquered, poverty banished, war
    eliminated. He wants man to understand
    of life. He believes that we cannot rely
    on God, channel action into prayer, or
    hope for an end of troubles in a hereaf-
    ter, that we are our brother's keeper, we
    are the keepers of our lives, that we
    are responsible persons, that the job is
    here and the time is now.

if all of that are true, then atheists would make good leaders. but i'm afraid not all atheists think that way. not even the non-atheists (not all of them) think that way.

Blog Entries

of course, Lady Luthienne. may it not be that one time a pre-requisite for becoming a "good leader" (whatever the hell that means) is to be an atheist. i am yet to be convinced of how logical that is.
    “What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we cant decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Blog Entries

It is strange that atheism would be so difficult to understand, but it must be - otherwise, there wouldn't be so many arguments over what it means, what it entails, and what significance it has for society.

what is atheism? What is theism? What is the difference between belief and disbelief? Is atheism anti-religion? Who has the burden of proof in debates? Is atheism morally and intellectually significant?

all i'm saying is that that was not the only and exact description of an atheist (no offense to pitsay, though). what makes a person an atheist, how he became so, may vary from person toÂ* person. his views on it may vary from sensible and intellectual, to choice, to just plain i'm-an-atheist-period. i was actuallyÂ* touched by pitsay's post. and i was thinking would that we all think that way, and to the non-atheists - a person who loves his fellow man as much as he loves God (as substitute for the first sentence of pitsay's post and to all other such sentences thereon hehe). indeed, would that we all think that and believe it and take action;
    the world would be a better place to live in. and it wouldn't matter then who's atheist and who's not. it would not matter then who's a good leader and who's not - all that would matter then is that we are all as one, no matter our beliefs - because if we have the same sincerity as that description as our common
    attribute, all is well. it's all that would matter. but quoting what i said in my first post. "not all atheists think that way, not even non-atheists (not all of them) think that way." pitsay's description sparked in me something that instead of presenting 'oh, i'm not an atheist because (blank)' -Â* rather, it takes me away to this place of "what if, then."

gareb,
    i strongly believe that anyone at all who lives by that description - i'm sure anyone of any belief can pick out the good things from that description - would make a good leader.

Question here:

If you marry the girl you love, would you marry her in a Christian church because it's important to her and her family? Would you kneel down and pray beside her during the wedding ceremony in the Church? Would you swear "I do" to the God she believes in?

Question here:

If you marry the girl you love, would you marry her in a Christian church because it's important to her and her family? Would you kneel down and pray beside her during the wedding ceremony in the Church? Would you swear "I do" to the God she believes in?
    A trick question for an aetheist. LOL!

Bitaw romano katololiko raba ta nga nasod.... but i wonder if uso ba nang mga weddings na i-hold sa LRT (sa Manila) or sa Jeepney or Mini-bus diri sa Cebu. if so that would be spectacular.
    I would love to get married in a mini-bus and just so it won't look like a "heathen" marriage I'll have a man in dusters officiate my commitment to my beloved wife. Oi, sige back on topic na ta. LOL

I don't think this topic is specific MrBiddle, you can re-read the opening post coz I'm asking within the confines of the topic's relevance. MrBiddle, what would you do? Asa man kutob imong prinsipyo and pagtuo nga walay Ginoo in your everday life? What if you'll have kids one day, wouldn't you put up a Xmas tree in your house? Or not believe in Santa Claus?

God is Love
    Gareb doesn't beleive in God
    So.....

11.    Advertisement

Page 3 of 236 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast