Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456714 ... LastLast

Ask lang ko sa mga akong mga amigong iSTORYANS, dba 23 ni unya sa COTAI? SO, 23 gyod ni mahitabo kay di man ni sa STATES dba?

Pacquiao makes Rios trainer eat his words
    By Roy A. Luarca
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    11:57 pm | Sunday, November 24th, 2013

MACAU—After watching Manny Pacquiao’s demolition of Brandon Rios on Sunday, trainer Robert Garcia readily took back his words that the Filipino ring icon is now past his prime.
    “Pacquiao still has a lot of fight in him,” Garcia said during the post-fight conference of Pacquiao-Rios. “He can fight for a long time.”
    It was a sudden twist from Garcia’s earlier claim that Pacquiao is on the decline and will be vulnerable to Rios’ nonstop lunges.
    Pacquiao proved Garcia, named the 2012 Trainer of the Year, wrong and way off the mark.
    According to Garcia, Pacquiao had a game plan and executed it well.
    Actually, Garcia thinks highly of Pacquiao, whom he said could have beaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. had they fought three or four years ago.
    The twin losses Pacquiao absorbed, especially his shocking knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez, made Garcia change his mind.
    With the way Pacquiao brought his fighter to school, however, Garcia again became a Pacquiao believer. Not only as a fighter, but as a human being.
    Ever humble and forging, Pacquiao approached Rios and embraced him at the center of the ring as soon as the final bell sounded.
    Despite the much-publicized scuffle between his trainer, Freddie Roach, and Team Rios, specifically Alex Ariza, on Wednesday, Pacquiao also greeted Garcia and even Ariza, who was caught on tape kicking Roach on the chest during the melee.
    Pacquiao said we’re brothers and sisters.
    “We must be forgiving.”

I think this will serve as a humbling experience to BRANDON RIOS. Before the fight, HE told the MEDIA that he will retire PacMan. After the fight, he was stunned and a believer of PacMan who taught him a boxing lesson that he never forget for the rest of his life. There are a lot of future HALL OF FAMER's being humbled by PacMan with his great footwork and ring generalship. HATTON himself almost committed suicide, DELA HOYA turned to DRUGS and I just hope Brandon Rios will not be a candidate of a gay pageant in MEXICO.

Only Manny can decide on retirement
    By Sev Sarmenta
    Philippine Daily Inquirer

Manny Pacquiao has other problems in his mind after finishing off Brandon Rios in Macau last weekend. A tax issue, a visit to the typhoon victims, congressional duties and the next fight in April are among the things that need his attention.
    The last thing he should worry about—and he’s probably telling all of us as well—is whether he has lost his killer’s instinct or that he should consider hanging up his gloves. The eight-time champion has just won a huge fight on a world stage where everybody was watching and trying to find out if he still has it.
    Quite clearly he does. The dominating win was not carved by a neophyte, hungry boxer trying to jump-start a career or a headhunter with a reputation to protect. This was a thinking boxer who came out of two losses, the last of which could have been career ending. The punches were crisp, precise and on the button. The evasive moves were a clinic on how to avoid being hit while remaining ready to unload big bombs.
    The knockout opportunity did not present itself blatantly in the fight. At best, it did come up twice and Pacquiao was already way ahead in points. Unlike in the Timothy Bradley fight where Pacquiao did not do quite enough, he piled more points than needed against Rios. He won every round although one scorecard looked like he lost at least one.
    Pacquiao has not lost his edge but perhaps he has gained more prudence. The knockout dealt by Juan Manuel Marquez has made Pacquiao wary of being too gung-ho. And this should not disappoint boxing fans because Pacquiao the smarter fighter is just as thrilling to watch as before.
    This talk about retirement should also cease. No one but Pacquiao can tell when it’s time to hang up his gloves. If you’ve been doing something passionately all your life, it will take a lot for you to stop doing something. Boxing is Pacquiao’s life. I know we are all concerned about his safety and preventing the horror of seeing him limping inside the ring when he has nothing left.
    What Pacquiao has left is two to three more big fights. Floyd Mayweather Jr. should respond to the worldwide clamor for a fight. If he is a true champion, he should stake his unbeaten record against Pacquiao and prove that he is the better boxer. He has avoided the Pacman way too long and it has not helped his image in any way.
    Don’t worry too much about Manny Pacquiao. He is smart enough to know when he doesn’t have it anymore and when there’s nobody else around worth fighting against. Let’s worry about him by letting him be his own man and decide his own fate. He is not yet done with boxing.

Mike Tyson tells Max Kellerman, Pacquiao is #1 & NOT Mayweather to watch or: "You don't know boxing!" -
    By Johnny Benz, DogHouseBoxing.com

I think if the boxing world especially those who were boxing legends would in my humble opinion "unite" to encourage this GAYWEATHER guy in fighting PACMAN then I think the fight could happen..

PACQUIAO'S NEXT STEP

Should Manny Pacquiao keep facing the same foes in the ring, or focus fully on his political future? (USA TODAY Sports Images)
    By Geoffrey Gray

LAS VEGAS -- Forget the judge's scorecards. After this fight, it was hard to pick the winner from the loser. Preparing for the fight that would define his career, Timothy Bradley Jr. sounded content to lose his welterweight title to Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night, perhaps relieved that the pressure of performing on such a big stage was over. Bradley had gambled everything on a risky strategy: knocking Pacquiao out. He fought like a wild man, part boxer, part slugger, bullying the lighter Pacquiao around the ring, scoring vicious right hands to the belly and overhand rights flush on Pacquiao's face.

"I fought a courageous fight," he said after it was over. "I tried my best."

His best wasn't enough. On the dais at the post-fight press conference, Pacquiao joked about the cut over his left eye, a nasty gash that opened from a Bradley head butt with only seconds to go in the final round. Once those 17 stitches heal (there are 15 stiches inside the cut), Pacquiao will carry that memento from Bradley, scar tissue that embodied a strange chapter in Pacquiao's storybook career. Even though the judges had him ahead on all scorecards, Pacquiao, 35, seemed to age in the ring in this rematch against the 30-year-old Bradley. His punches seemed to lack snap. He struggled with timing. He didn't seem to have a strategy. He rarely threw body shots in the earlier rounds to wear Bradley down, and paid for it.

The victory was not emotional, not overwrought with revenge for that lousy decision in 2012. Amid talk of retirement, beating a younger champion at his best guarantees Pacquiao another lucrative payday.

"My journey in boxing continues," Pacquiao said.

Analyzing the fight, Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, felt guilty. "I never saw this coming," he said of Bradley's relentless pursuit of Pacquiao. Studying Bradley's amateur and professional career, Roach was confident that Bradley would not attack Pacquiao furiously, nor connect with the powerful punches that troubled Pacquiao on Saturday.

"I was cringing," Roach said of the body shots that Pacquiao sustained, along with an overhand right hand that wobbled and stunned him in the fourth round. Pacquiao recovered, and the harder the bulky Bradley tried to land the punch that could erase all the doubts about their last fight, the more tired he became. Pacquiao weathered the storm, but he looked off through most of the fight, struggling to find a way to survive.

According to one member of his inner circle, Pacquiao had been sick in training camp. He developed a virus infection in his sinuses and was taking antibiotics only weeks before the fight. He eventually recovered and showed spark. In the dressing room before the fight, working the focus pads to warm Pacquiao up, Roach's body was recoiling from Pacquiao's speed and power. "He was on fire," Roach said. But in the ring, the flames seemed to fizzle.

"Obviously, Bradley had something to do with it," Roach said.

On balance, Roach called Pacquiao's performance "a little sloppy," and believes that Pacquiao still has a long way to go to reach his optimal level even in the twilight years of his career. The veteran of so many tough fights, and with his other job as a Congressman in the Philippines requiring his attention, it's a mystery how Pacquiao could reach that level. Wherever he travels, the mob follows. Instead of carving out space for himself to focus, he allows the doors of his training camp to be open.

Pacquiao's financial future is also a mystery. Before the fight, the welterweight champ and promoter Bob Arum had been negotiating an extension: four fights over the next two years, at $20 million per fight -- assuming Pacquiao continues to win -- plus a signing bonus. It all sounds like a generous deal for an aging fighter, and it's especially important for Pacquiao, who spends his millions as fast as he makes them. Despite rising to the top of Forbes' list as one of the highest-grossing athletes, it's all unclear whether Pacquiao is fighting to add to his savings or get himself out of debt. Spend any time with Pacquiao and those around him worry that he could become -- or is already becoming -- a familiar cliché: the pug who came up from nothing, amassed a fortune by knocking out the best of his generation, then lost it all.

During his training camp in Los Angeles, I asked Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's longtime advisor, to describe the fighter's financial state. Koncz declined, citing Pacquiao's privacy, but added that Pacquiao "has a lot of assets," presumably stuff he can't spend easily: homes, buildings, Ferraris, gold watches. Still, without cash reserves, Pacquiao will be fighting on the float, a hard position from which to plan for the future with any efficiency and discipline. Growing up on the streets of Manila, where he was so poor that he sold donuts to survive, Pacquiao is now so generous with his purses that he consistently spends more than $1 million on fight tickets for his friends and political associates. For this training camp, according to Helena Buscema, his voice coach, Pacquiao gave away around $100,000 to the women in his expansive entourage after challenging them to lose weight. Pacquiao is so fun to be around. His smile is infectious. He turns down very few. Even Bradley called him boxing's Gandhi.
    "He's like a big kid," Buscema told me about Pacquiao. It's a disposition that makes him so special, and one that is probably his greatest liability right now.
    There are millions more to win and more names to fight in boxing's fractured marketplace. Marquez. Alvarado. Khan. Garcia. Maybe even Mayweather. But unlike all those other fighters -- and nearly every fighter of his generation -- Pacquiao has the rare chance to transcend his unusual status as pugilist congressman. As all those around him know, the road to the presidency of the Philippines is long and winding. The first step that Pacquiao needs to take (and those around him believe he will) is to run for the Filipino Senate in 2016, the year the seat from his province becomes available. If he wins the Senate seat that year, Pacquiao could begin to position himself for a presidential campaign one day. Already, he has been given a playful endorsement by former president Bill Clinton.

Pacquiao has said that he wants to fight for two more years, perhaps to pay off all his debts, outstanding tax bills, and build up his political war chest. But to compete in worlds as vicious and demanding as politics and boxing, Pacquiao eventually will have to choose a path.

The boxing path is limiting. In the ring, he has little to prove anymore. From his performance against Bradley, it's doubtful he could raise his levels again to a spectacular caliber. His choices of opponents are also poor. He could fight Juan Manuel Marquez a fifth time. Or Mike Alvarado, who fights Marquez next month. But neither of those fights will do anything for Pacquiao's stock. If he wins, experts will crow that he was better to begin with. If he loses, many will call on him to retire. As the Senate elections loom, it will be hard to run for office while desperate to book fights.
    The political choice has upside. In order for Pacquiao to run for Senate in 2016 -- and eventually the presidency -- he'll need to build up his network of political supporters, financiers and staff. With the election only a year and a half away (and no real appetizing opponent right now), Pacquiao could benefit by taking time away from boxing to enhance his political infrastructure, give his aging body additional time to rest, and look to have a comeback fight that will energize his Senate campaign should he decide to run for higher office, a fight he can take on with a coherent political strategy in place.

One choice seems certain. In order to compete in politics and boxing, the Pacquiao that won in the ring on Saturday night has to grow outside of it. His boyish persona is lovable. His generosity keeps the entourage robust. But the tactful decisions he'll need to make in both worlds cannot hinge on needing to take a fight in order to pay for a Ferrari. Or finance a weight loss contest. We all like the big kid in Pacquiao, but to compete at the next level he must arrive there focused and frugal, if not transformed.

Marquez: Fans Want Pac-May,Not Part 5!
    by: RENE UMANZOR

Former four division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez has once again dismissed the possibility of a fifth fight with Manny Pacquiao. Marquez is training hard for his upcoming fight with Mike Alvarado on May 17th at The Forum in Los Angeles, California.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, had promised to match the Marquez-Alvarado winner against the winner of last week's rematch between Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley. Pacquiao won a twelve round unanimous decision.

Marquez has been pretty firm with his position that there is no reason for a fifth fight with Pacquiao. After three close and controversial meetings, Marquez knocked Pacquiao out in the sixth round of their fourth bout in 2012.

The Mexican icon says the Boxing Public has no interest in a fifth fight-they all want to see the super-fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“I think the fight that the fans want is Manny and Floyd. That's what they want to see and they should do it. I have already had four fights with Pacquiao, and many people would prefer to see these two opponents face each other in the ring. I think if we voted on what fight people want to see, I sure they would want to see Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Jr. There is a talk of a fifth fight (with Pacquiao), But I am not losing any sleep over it. I am preparing to fight against Alvarado and I don't care about any other fight,” Marquez said.

Comment: Well, I guess JMM is now turned into a chicken ala his idol Floyd Gayweather nowadays as PACMAN showed the world how to humiliate the trash-talking and taunting black guy that backfired to his ugly and alien-like face.

Quote Originally Posted by inxss4 View Post
    Marquez: Fans Want Pac-May,Not Part 5!
    by: RENE UMANZOR

Former four division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez has once again dismissed the possibility of a fifth fight with Manny Pacquiao. Marquez is training hard for his upcoming fight with Mike Alvarado on May 17th at The Forum in Los Angeles, California.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, had promised to match the Marquez-Alvarado winner against the winner of last week's rematch between Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley. Pacquiao won a twelve round unanimous decision.

Marquez has been pretty firm with his position that there is no reason for a fifth fight with Pacquiao. After three close and controversial meetings, Marquez knocked Pacquiao out in the sixth round of their fourth bout in 2012.

The Mexican icon says the Boxing Public has no interest in a fifth fight-they all want to see the super-fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“I think the fight that the fans want is Manny and Floyd. That's what they want to see and they should do it. I have already had four fights with Pacquiao, and many people would prefer to see these two opponents face each other in the ring. I think if we voted on what fight people want to see, I sure they would want to see Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Jr. There is a talk of a fifth fight (with Pacquiao), But I am not losing any sleep over it. I am preparing to fight against Alvarado and I don't care about any other fight,” Marquez said.

Comment: Well, I guess JMM is now turned into a chicken ala his idol Floyd Gayweather nowadays as PACMAN showed the world how to humiliate the trash-talking and taunting black guy that backfired to his ugly and alien-like face.
    hahahah. I do hope Alvarado will outbox Marquez for his retirement. Wa najuy pag asa ang Pacquiao-Marquez 5. Pero myta maski Pacquiao-mayweather mahitabo lang juddd.

coming na sad ang kang miguel cotto og kang sergio martinez karong june

Quote Originally Posted by The Rocker View Post
    coming na sad ang kang miguel cotto og kang sergio martinez karong june
    Yeah....it's worth the wait....

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456714 ... LastLast