Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: PROGRESSIVE

Default PROGRESSIVE

Cool.

But, I'm recommending that you listen to the three bands I mentioned, just so you can get a better perspective on things.

Dream Theater is not the be-all-end-all of Progressive rock.

Default PROGRESSIVE

hehhe...aite carlo..thanks i will listen to it

Default PROGRESSIVE

HUSLA... try RUSH....
    one of my all time fave band..
    Recommended albums: Moving Pictures, 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves
    Or... you can get the compilations like: Chronicles, Spirit of the Radio, Different Stages, Retrospective, etc...

Why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

Default PROGRESSIVE

hala cge go...daghan na sad kog i surf ani dah...hahaha thankshoooo ezra! :P

Default PROGRESSIVE

osi

Default PROGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Borromeo
    Quote Originally Posted by TieKnee
    ok lang...we ol have different tastes in music...i like DT coz its different...it's rare...
    Actually, my point is, THEY AREN'T.

They sound like King CRimson, Rush and Yes.

And these are bands that came out 30 years ago.

How's that for PROGRESSIVE?
    well, sorry coz i haven't heard of any of those bands YET...as what i have said...my bro just influenced me...that's ol...

its different, on my own perpective coz i usually dig in to r&B and rap...which is way too different from DT...newaze...ur the music guru...thanks anyway for the info...

30 years ago?...wow...i wasn't even boren yet!!!

Default PROGRESSIVE

if you think about it DT is the sole band that has kept alive the tradition of yes, rush and king crimson. They have admitted that these are the bands that influenced them and i don't know about some musicians here in istorya but whenever you "create" your own music you'll hear tidbits of your main influences in your "creation".

Default PROGRESSIVE

Have you listened to RUSH, Fingolfin?

I'm not talking about "tidbits", of influences. The odd-time running basslines/riffs, the time changes, everything. Not Tidbits. Large gulps. Very large gulps. Heck, even James Labree's voice sounds like Geddy Lee's (rush bassist/vocals).

How can something be progressive if they're still mining something that is 30 years old? The only difference between DT and Rush is the DT seem to practice a heck of a lot more.

I used to tease Glassmoon about this. Whenever I hear a DT song, I always think - THESE GUYS DON'T GO OUT MUCH.

And progressive rock, as it was originally conceptualized in the late 1960's, wasn't even supposed to be about musical virtuosity (which is DT's ONLY selling point).

The most succesful PROGRESSIVE ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME is PINK FLOYD. And they don't do COMPLICATED SONGS - they do COMPLEX SONGS, meaning, the issues they tackle in their songs, how their songs relate to each other, how they told epic stories with their albums.

Progressive Rock was meant to push the boundaries of what Rock Music could be about, since before them, rock music used to be only about Partying, and Girls, and *** and Cars.

Pink Floyd wrote about Fascism, Greed, Despair, Fear, Paranoia - things that people didn't normally associate with rock.

I would probably rank QUEENSRYCHE as one of the best prog rock bands of the last 15 years, if only because they focused on their songwriting and not their musicianship.

Default PROGRESSIVE

I also think that DT is RUSH on steroids.

Why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

Default PROGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Borromeo
    Have you listened to RUSH, Fingolfin?

I'm not talking about "tidbits", of influences. The odd-time running basslines/riffs, the time changes, everything. Not Tidbits. Large gulps. Very large gulps. Heck, even James Labree's voice sounds like Geddy Lee's (rush bassist/vocals).

How can something be progressive if they're still mining something that is 30 years old? The only difference between DT and Rush is the DT seem to practice a heck of a lot more.

I used to tease Glassmoon about this. Whenever I hear a DT song, I always think - THESE GUYS DON'T GO OUT MUCH.

And progressive rock, as it was originally conceptualized in the late 1960's, wasn't even supposed to be about musical virtuosity (which is DT's ONLY selling point).

The most succesful PROGRESSIVE ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME is PINK FLOYD. And they don't do COMPLICATED SONGS - they do COMPLEX SONGS, meaning, the issues they tackle in their songs, how their songs relate to each other, how they told epic stories with their albums.

Progressive Rock was meant to push the boundaries of what Rock Music could be about, since before them, rock music used to be only about Partying, and Girls, and *** and Cars.

Pink Floyd wrote about Fascism, Greed, Despair, Fear, Paranoia - things that people didn't normally associate with rock.

I would probably rank QUEENSRYCHE as one of the best prog rock bands of the last 15 years, if only because they focused on their songwriting and not their musicianship.

i have heard Rush, Yes, pink floyd. My dad is one heck of a Pink Floyd fanatic..................mao gyud bitaw, James and Geedy has the same voice the only difference is James' is harder and higher but still of the same tone. As G'moon always say about DT "kani sila ba, wala gyud ni sila bisyo, sa studio tingali ni sila nag puyo",ehehehe. You're right, DT's number one selling point is their virtuosity not many bands out there (of their same age) can play such complicated parts. But if Magna Carta records is a multimillionaire company then there would be lots of good music in mainstream now. but it's only an "if"......

11.    Advertisement

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast