Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Don't Know

Quote Originally Posted by bcasabee View Post
    Nah, everybody think theirs is the truth, either believers or athiest a like. We should stop pointing fingers at each other.
    this thread is not about pointing fingers at each other. i agree with you though that everybody has their own truths. i guess that explains why people love debating and can't seem to agree on pretty much everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dartzed View Post
    realization: sharing ideas to your friends even if you know less or not at all, the moment you realize you are wrong then you start the learning process.. commonly called "learn from your mistakes"
    correct --- but to what degree does one openly admit his/her ignorance? are humans naturally inclined to present an absolute answer without something to back it up?

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    Submitting oneself into something that as of yet cannot be proven as false is still logical, we call it belief. If anything is conclusively and ultimately sensible through our intelligence explaining ang enlighting all the doubts then that's the time we could say what should be the truth and what should be false. I could even believe that chad is such a very tall person, but still I have to ascertain it by perhaps seeing him personally in which presently I'm incapable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by chad_tukes View Post
    why is it that people like to pretend they know the answers when in fact, they don't really know the answers. what's so hard with saying "I don't know"? is saying "I don't know" so hard to do that people who 'don't know' the answers give others the impression that they actually do.

for instance, i've seen threads in Gen Disc that talks about "the end of times is near" ... "he is coming" ... i mean wtf, how did you know that? then there's Catholicism --- if you ask a priest where our souls go after we die --- "it goes to purgatory". i mean WOW, again, how did you know that? in Islam, you go in a suicide mission to meet 72 virgins in heaven? that's ridiculous.

just say "I don't know what's going to happen, really" and that's the end of the story. because in reality, we don't have the answers.
    that's why i like what Bill Maher said on Religulous, "I'm preaching the Gospel of I-Don't-Know."

Quote Originally Posted by [PROTOTYPE] View Post
    chad, don't worry, im studying for the priesthood. i will remember your questions and find out the answers for myself, then give them to you.
    good luck to you.

I don't know WHY atheist always talk about God and the believers?

correct --- but to what degree does one openly admit his/her ignorance?
    it's the 4th one it's called maturity though maturity level is classified into different complex terms which specially includes the unexplained ones..

are humans naturally inclined to present an absolute answer without something to back it up?
    Basically Yes, that's the reason why they come up to the idea to "learn from the mistakes of the others" in contrast with "learn from your mistakes".. And No, not all of them..

a quick question though: how did you assume that a person who answers your questions is wrong just because there is no evidences(specifically scientific theories and facts) when you just recently said "we don't have the answers"??..
    Last edited by dartzed; 03-12-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dartzed View Post

a quick question though: how did you assume that a person who answers your questions is wrong just because there is no evidences(specifically scientific theories and facts) when you just recently said "we don't have the answers"??..

.. that's the whole point. We dont know the true answers to those questions then why do some people give us answers as if they actually know the truth to it all.

.. and to those persons who just always says YES, to the answers to their questions of the intangible are gullible people, i dont mean it an offensive way, but that's just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
    .. that's the whole point. We dont know the true answers to those questions then why do some people give us answers as if they actually know the truth to it all.
    same question goes to you bro: how did you know that their answers are wrong when you do not know the real answers to your questions?..

Quote Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
    .. and to those persons who just always says YES, to the answers to their questions of the intangible are gullible people, i dont mean it an offensive way, but that's just how it is.
    how will you judge someone's idea, wrong when you don't even know the real answer too?..

Excellent question, the answer is complex and is deeply entrenched in the human condition. I would have to say it is the same reason people keep asking questions that no mortal man can possible know the answer. People want to impress that they are clever or smarter than another. Even if the person who is ignorant just by chance does answer the question correctly, the person asking the question can not for certain know if the answer is correct or incorrect. It is in fact a case of ignorant beings trying to impress another to the true extent of their ignorance. Fools arguing with fools can be worse, each without the proper facts to even know if they themselves are even remotely on the right path to have any true and useful knowledge. Most humans are nothing more than a walking meatballs with eyes sporting small brains, bad attitudes, and a big mouths.

So in the end we will all know for sure. Until then we are really just full of crap or just full of ourselves. Like the mentally blind trying to blindly lead the blind. Mental midgets each using less than 8% of their brain trying to understand that which is beyond our capacity to grasp. The only thing that divides us is faith, or lack of faith, and the desire to be proven right and intelligent at any or all cost.

The problem in such conversations is would you, could you, even know or accept the truth if it has already been properly presented to you? Or is truth only to be accepted by you if it is what you want to believe. One can be blinded to a truth by the cloud created within his own mind, making him unable to distinguish that truth as a fact.

The real question is can one accept his knowledge's true shortcomings and rise above his own false ego and vanity. Few can, most will not know how, even fewer are even honest enough to try; which is a major flaw within mankind's collective. This is what makes most men to be just meat with eyes.

The three word phrases seem the hardest for a man to say. I am lost. I need help. I love you. I don't know. We are a strange animal.
    Last edited by jamesmusslewhite; 03-13-2010 at 02:10 AM.

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast