Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Cebu City Public Library in Death Row

Sunday, January 04, 2009
    Mercado: ‘Republic of Letters’
    By Juan L. Mercado
    Sidebar

“OUR civilization, the depth of our awareness about underpinnings of culture and concern for the future can all be tested by how well we support our libraries,” Carl Sagan, Cornell University’s director of planetary studies made this observation in the journal Cosmos.

This came to mind after City Hall sprang the news: the 69-year-old Rizal Memorial Library will be padlocked. City consultant on education, Joy Augustus Young says closure is set after the Sinulog bash this month. Acting Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama approves.

This is an institution, built in 1939, by contributions of our parents’ generation.

They understood better, than today’s officials, what the inscription above the Berlin Royal Library’s entrance meant: Nutrimentum Spiritus (Food for the Soul). Indeed, one can sit in a library and sail off, like frigates, everywhere, Emily Dickenson wrote.

No public hearings were conducted for on closure plans. So, may this graying taxpayer weigh in?

For half-a-century career, we’ve worked as journalist, foreign correspondent, and United Nations officer. This career is now drawing to a close. Did we work with a modicum of competence, let alone panache, from Rome to Jakarta and New York? If we did, that came, in no small measure, from this soon to be closed library.

Librarians (Mrs. Tormis and Mrs. Muana, if I recall right) opened the world to then grade school kids in Cebu Normal School.

We read thru children’s books first. The Curlytop series led to Edgar Rice Burrough’s series on Tarzan, Zane Grey westerns, Perry Mason crime novels. They, in turn, opened later, for us Dante, Rizal, Shakespeare, Churchill, etc.

A dying classmate, who co-discovered Rizal Memorial Library, murmured his regrets over how alcohol wrecked his life and family---in the words of the Rubayyat: “The moving finger writes, and having writ moves on…Not all your piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line.”

How different, one reflected, from kids who sat in the movie aisle before us; they couldn’t make heads and tails out of Edmond Rostand’s “Cyrano de Bergerac.” Who sealed off this world of beauty to them?

This experience is not unique. The historian Horacio de la Costa writes of how a “madman” stocked the Ateneo library with three copies of “Wizard of Oz.” But there was method in Fr. John P. Delaney’s madness, he said. Soon students were reading Frank Merriwell, Nero Wolfe, etc. “By fourth year, we were reading David Cooperfield…We got a teacher in the art of reading.”

In a globalizing competitive world, those who don’t read will get the short end of the stick. But Rama, Young & Co argue: City Hall is broke. That’s only half true.

Over P1.3 billion has been siphoned by yen-loan repayments for Mayor Tomas Osmeña’s South Reclamation Project (SRP). More bills are forthcoming. All the city’s eggs were lumped into one basket by Mayor Osmeña. No city has ever become an engine of growth on just one project.

SRP has drained funds for essential services, denials notwithstanding. City roads are moonscapes. Water shortages are spreading. Medical facilities are primitive. Malnutrition is rife. Cebuanos today have the highest per-capita tax burden for repayment of yen loans.

It is equally true to say that there has been money. But skewed priorities have seen bulk diverted away from essentials. A P138-million legislative building may soothe councilors’ egos. But they do not meet basic human needs for clean water, sanitation, medical care-–and essential items like a good public library.

There is, after all, “no such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the free public library,” philanthropist Andrew Carnegie once wrote. “This (is a) republic of letters, where neither rank, office nor wealth receives the slightest consideration.

(juan_mercado@pacific.net.ph)

Blog Entries
    so there will be 0 (as in zero) public library in the province of Cebu? amazing

the city hall is broke. ha.

That's bad...

But on the second thought, would you want to preserve a library in which its consistent visitors are the common household dusts? Maintaining an unfrequented library costs money also.

Better for it to become a museum, I guess.

I used to go to the public library when i was around 8 - 10. I spent some of my summer days there reading books and newspapers. Up until now, I still believe libraries especially those open to the public are very important because although we now have the power of the internet some important data and studies are not available online.

we need a new public library...

kanang monumental ang design.
    high ceiling etc.

hehe

OMG.........

paetah... ad2 baya me mag studyhan sa public library pag ka faets mobalik unta ko dha ugma naks.. ka bad news ani ois

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brownprose View Post
    That's bad...

But on the second thought, would you want to preserve a library in which its consistent visitors are the common household dusts? Maintaining an unfrequented library costs money also.

Better for it to become a museum, I guess.
    I was disappointed and a bit shocked to learn that our ONLY public library relies on donations for new books. it's so pathetic. as to why they don't have many projects, i learned that they are budget-strapped.

close the old, build a new one. oh i cannot stress enough the the need for public libraries. asa man diay padulong atong buwis intawn oi! mao nang di jud ko ganahan mobayad og buwis ba. TSK TSK!

this is a depressing news!! waaaa.. nice bya ni ila mga books diri. sayanga gud?! dmn... dont tell me tnan natong tax nga perting dakoa gi hurot sa SRP? paeta ani oi.... so sad.. tsk9......

naa proposal daw nga i donate nlang ilang karaan nga books sa public school...na unsa mo hatag cla ug tayaon nga libro kinsa may naay interest ana nga d mana presentable? superseded npd na nga information.. ngano nman ning city hall? d man gali cla ka provide ug budget sa public library ila na noon ipasa sa utro pd nga d ka support hahay...

naa ta raba nindot nga program dha mo conduct to cla ug story telling may nlang to kay malingaw imong kids sa ila collection..

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast