Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Do Less Intelligent Animals believe in God over time?

I just found this article on the internet.. and was thinking if belief in a god is an evolution of the mind..

Aussie scientists find coconut-carrying octopus
    By KRISTEN GELINEAU (AP) – 53 minutes ago

SYDNEY — Australian scientists have discovered an octopus in Indonesia that collects coconut shells for shelter — unusually sophisticated behavior that the researchers believe is the first evidence of tool use in an invertebrate animal.

The scientists filmed the veined octopus, Amphioctopus marginatus, selecting halved coconut shells from the sea floor, emptying them out, carrying them under their bodies up to 65 feet (20 meters), and assembling two shells together to make a spherical hiding spot.

Julian Finn and Mark Norman of Museum Victoria in Melbourne observed the odd activity in four of the creatures during a series of dive trips to North Sulawesi and Bali in Indonesia between 1998 and 2008. Their findings were published Tuesday in the journal Current Biology.

"I was gobsmacked," said Finn, a research biologist at the museum who specializes in cephalopods. "I mean, I've seen a lot of octopuses hiding in shells, but I've never seen one that grabs it up and jogs across the sea floor. I was trying hard not to laugh."

Octopuses often use foreign objects as shelter. But the scientists found the veined octopus going a step further by preparing the shells, carrying them long distances and reassembling them as shelter elsewhere.

That's an example of tool use, which has never been recorded in invertebrates before, Finn said.
    "What makes it different from a hermit crab is this octopus collects shells for later use, so when it's transporting it, it's not getting any protection from it," Finn said. "It's that collecting it to use it later that is unusual."

The findings are significant, in that they reveal just how capable the creatures are of complex behavior, said Simon Robson, associate professor of tropical biology at James Cook University in Townsville.

"Octopuses have always stood out as appearing to be particularly intelligent invertebrates," Robson said. "They have a fairly well-developed sense of vision and they have a fairly intelligent brain. So I think it shows the behavioral capabilities that these organisms have."

maybe someday, octopuses will see us humans as God..

youtube: YouTube - Coconut-carrying octopus
    Last edited by bluedes; 12-15-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Mao ni rason blue, d nata pede mo kaon og isda kay u know what they might be calling themselves by name... nya gi lamoy ra nato.. Finding Nemo TRUE STORIES REVEALED.

mag vegetarian nalang ta tanan! hrhrhrhr! d pede kay masuko ang green movement... hala mag tabletas nalang ta...
    Last edited by kebotDiNaMute; 12-15-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kebotDiNaMute View Post
    Mao ni rason blue, d nata pede mo kaon og isda kay u know what they might be calling themselves by name... nya gi lamoy ra nato.. Finding Nemo TRUE STORIES REVEALED.

mag vegetarian nalang ta tanan! hrhrhrhr! d pede kay masuko ang green movement... hala mag tabletas nalang ta...

wa ko kasabot sa imong point bro..

pero tan-aw nimo, unsa man jud?

sooner or later, fish will evolve some kind of mind.. what's the difference between eating fish and say eating your dog? parehas ra man na sila animal..

kita na ka gi-unsa pagpatay sa mga chickens in a poultry processing facility?

Will never be.. animals only have body and soul.. while human have body,soul and SPIRIT. mao nga ang tao ra jud ang naay relation sa Ginoo...

Quote Originally Posted by necrotic freak View Post
    Will never be.. animals only have body and soul.. while human have body,soul and SPIRIT. mao nga ang tao ra jud ang naay relation sa Ginoo...
    how did you know that?

what about the octopus above showing signs na its learning beyond our normal idea of what animals are.. i wouldn't be surprised if monkeys learned how to use forks and knives..

Quote Originally Posted by bluedes View Post
    how did you know that?

what about the octopus above showing signs na its learning beyond our normal idea of what animals are.. i wouldn't be surprised if monkeys learned how to use forks and knives..
    There are three kinds of life that God has created in this universe:

Body only - Lower life forms, including reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates
    Body and soul - From the Hebrew nephesh, or soulish creatures, including birds and mammals
    Body, soul and spirit - Humans and angels

The soul is best described as the characteristics that make up the advanced brain, including mind, will and emotion. Only birds and mammals exhibit these characteristics, which is why humans can form mutual relationships with birds and mammals.

The spirit is that part of humans that is able to love and experience God directly. It is found in no other animal species, since no other species can experience God or form a relationship with Him.

ang image of god sa mga octopus kay a big octopus with a white beard.

Quote Originally Posted by necrotic freak View Post
    There are three kinds of life that God has created in this universe:

Body only - Lower life forms, including reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates
    Body and soul - From the Hebrew nephesh, or soulish creatures, including birds and mammals
    Body, soul and spirit - Humans and angels

The soul is best described as the characteristics that make up the advanced brain, including mind, will and emotion. Only birds and mammals exhibit these characteristics, which is why humans can form mutual relationships with birds and mammals.

The spirit is that part of humans that is able to love and experience God directly. It is found in no other animal species, since no other species can experience God or form a relationship with Him.
    so plants belong to Body only, by your standard of classification?

hmmm.. nice.. i will do an experiment on this and see what my experiment results will show.. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by grovestreet View Post
    ang image of god sa mga octopus kay a big octopus with a white beard.
    naa diay santa claus ang mga octopus?

Blog Entries
    interesting

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast