Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 'Mature' Banal ready for Act Two

It's a mark of how fickle the sport of boxing can be that just two years ago, AJ Banal was considered damaged goods. Perhaps it wasn't that he had lost, but how he lost.

Leading on all scorecards in the 10th round of a scheduled 12-rounder against Raul Concepcion, Banal took a series of right hands that sent him down face first in a neutral corner. Banal wasn't unconscious, however, as he took the 10-count on his knees, resigned in his defeat.

The loss to Concepcion, which was a contest for the interim World Boxing Association (WBA) junior bantamweight title, would move him out of the public's eye. And that might not be a bad thing. At 19, the pressure to be the next breakout prodigy weighed heavily on his shoulders. Now, at 21, time is still on his side.

"I have put my loss to Concepcion behind me now and I have learned a lot along the way," says Banal (22-1-1, 18 KO) of Cebu City, Philippines. "I have matured a great deal. When I was still starting out, I was always eager to put on a good show and knock out my opponents as early as I could. I've learned not to rush things so I do not put myself in a bad position."

On October 30, Banal hopes to put himself in a good position for a second title shot when he faces former two-division world champion Luis Alberto Perez (26-4, 17 KO) of Managua, Nicaragua. The fight will take place at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu City, with a catch weight of 120 pounds.

Though the 32-year-old Perez has lost three of his last four fights, the veteran "El Demoledor" (Demolition Man) could be Banal's toughest opponent to date.

It's not the first time Banal has faced top competition though.

Three years ago Banal defeated little-known Mexican Juan Alberto Rosas in his first fight outside of the Philippines. But three months ago Rosas rebounded from that loss to become the International Boxing Federation's (IBF) super flyweight champion, beating Simphiwe Nongqayi of South Africa.

Many of Banal's sparring partners are familiar faces, like fellow ALA Boxing Gym stable mates Michael Domingo and Mark Jason Melligen. It's a new face in the gym that Banal's trainer Edito Villamor believes will take his performance to the next level.

"We have some adjustment in our training program, physically and mentally," said Villamor, who is being aided by strength and conditioning coach Pio Gerardo Solon.

Solon first worked with Banal in the "Bazooka"'s most recent win, a fifth-round knockout of Korean Big Yoo.

"Things like advanced plyometrics, circuit training regimen and more. Maybe that's what was missing from our training before. AJ is a different fighter from when he was a teenager," added Villamor. "He's more focused, more dedicated and mature now. He still has the fire n his eyes to become world champion."

Banal's possible re-emergence in world-class territory couldn't have come at a better time, as the promotional company Top Rank Inc. has committed to help ALA Promotions' fighters.

With the support of one of the sport's top promotional organizations, run by ALA president Michael Aldegeuer, Banal suddenly has the ball back in his court.

"I believe if I win this fight, I will be elevated to world-class status," said Banal. – JVP, GMANews.TV

if dli siya mo change ang fighting style aw mao gihapon. wide stance. pareha ni boom2x.

Quote Originally Posted by ghamvhino View Post
    Banal is the next Manny Pacquiao!!
    what?!? are you kidding me??

daog via DQ...but pyter kau banal, ma champion gyud ni puhon..

AJ "Bazooka" Banal was lucky... if the referee decided to deduct points for the Nicaraguan by hitting him after the bell... AJ might not reach the next round. he was staggered after a solid blow but managed to clinch to his opponent, unfortunately for the Nicaraguan, it was a hometown decision... Winner by Disqualification ... tsk tsk tsk ALA boxers really have problems with their conditioning its very visible for years now. they need to do something if they want to have a prize fighters.

If it goes to the score card since it's past 4 rounds... AJ will win.
    I really love that fight to continue, even if they gave AJ time to recover and deduct points to Perez.
    One biggest problem with ALA boxers are their conditioning... and I am sure Perez knows it.
    That was a tough test for AJ when it comes to stamina.
    round 8-12 is very crucial if that fight continues. a possible K.O might happened.

I like AJ but he really needs to step up and push his limits.

Melligen? I will not be surprise... he improves a lot.

Newez, Congrats to AJ and to Melligen.

Entor!!! hahahaha..
    Last edited by taga_ipil; 10-31-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Elite Member
    Yes ni improve og maayo iyang footwork and the way he throw his punches
    maayo og timing but Im not sure sa durability niya og punching power kay murag
    dako man sad nuon to iyang kontra, if wala pa to gitirahan sa iya kontra after sa break
    dako pa chances ma pildi siya ato, I heard overweight daw to iya kontra

Quote Originally Posted by taga_ipil View Post
    AJ "Bazooka" Banal was lucky... if the referee decided to deduct points for the Nicaraguan by hitting him after the bell... AJ might not reach the next round. he was staggered after a solid blow but managed to clinch to his opponent, unfortunately for the Nicaraguan, it was a hometown decision... Winner by Disqualification ... tsk tsk tsk ALA boxers really have problems with their conditioning its very visible for years now. they need to do something if they want to have a prize fighters.

If it goes to the score card since it's past 4 rounds... AJ will win.
    I really love that fight to continue, even if they gave AJ time to recover and deduct points to Perez.
    One biggest problem with ALA boxers are their conditioning... and I am sure Perez knows it.
    That was a tough test for AJ when it comes to stamina.
    round 8-12 is very crucial if that fight continues. a possible K.O might happened.

I like AJ but he really needs to step up and push his limits.

Melligen? I will not be surprise... he improves a lot.

Newez, Congrats to AJ and to Melligen.

Entor!!! hahahaha..
    haha instant fan ko entor.. mayntag maapil nani cya sa main bout sunod haskang lingawa hehehe

The undercard bouts of Pagara and Melligen was very impressive than of Banal's fight... Lacks stamina. Punching power decreases if his fights goes to the distance. He could have lost the fight if the ref didn't DQ the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by ghamvhino View Post
    Banal is the next Manny Pacquiao!!
    donaire cguro...

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast