Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Softmodding the GeForce6800 Card

can anyone share their experiences softmodding any GeForce6800 Card?

8-pipe and 12-pipe GeForceFX 6800

to full blast 16-pipes

Ows...is it possible diay to softmod the number of pipes? LOL. Mayb the experts can give info bowt this. ^_^

nice, lol.

Elite Member Platinum Member gregggy_ph's Avatar

In order to decrease manufacturing costs, NVIDIA tweaks clock speeds and disables features on its chips in order to provide what is essentially the same product to different markets. The GeForce 6800 is based on NVIDIA’s NV40 graphics core, the exact same chip NVIDIA uses for GeForce 6800 Ultra and GeForce 6800 GT. On the regular GeForce 6800, though, four of its pixel pipelines are disabled, and one vertex unit is turned off. GeForce 6800 cards can be modded to run with 16 pipes via BIOS modification in software, which the article will show you how to do. (PCI-E GeForce 6800 cards can’t be modded into 16-pipeline cards; the article refers to AGP cards only.) This will, of course, void your card's warranty.

As you’d expect, turning on all of the NV40’s pixel/vertex pipelines brought an immediate performance improvement in all applications we tested.

Overall it’s got to be pretty exciting to be able to unlock your GeForce 6800 card’s pixel and vertex pipes for a little bit more performance. Unlike overclocking, board temperatures are practically unaffected, so those of you looking for a little more performance from your GeForce 6800 may want to give this a try.
    http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/

or

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Yes, it is possible. I have softmodded my gfx5900 into Quadro fx3000 , gfx6800 can become Quadro fx4000

hotrod where can we buy Ati All in wonder or FireGL OR in nVidia Quadro fx here in cebu or manila ?

btw the quadro cards aren't as fast as the fx cards when it comes to gaming. quality is just better.. mainly used in CAD environments..hence the skyhigh price

Quote Originally Posted by koto
    hotrod where can we buy Ati All in wonder or FireGL OR in nVidia Quadro fx here in cebu or manila ?
    It can be available thru most pc shops, but its order basis. I got my pny quadro fx 1100 online, since its way cheaper. malaki kasi ang kagat ng mga local suppliers dito. In Cebu you can contact ArchTech

Quote Originally Posted by [DSX]
    btw the quadro cards aren't as fast as the fx cards when it comes to gaming. quality is just better.. mainly used in CAD environments..hence the skyhigh price
    Yes, Quadro is for CAD/DCC professionals Overpriced nga lang.hehe I'd rather go with a gfx6800 then softmod to quadro fx4000. You can use dual boot, one to run it for gaming, other for work

Default coz i want to buy it

actually im planning to buy a cheap leadtek geforce fx 6800 LE from newegg, however not until somebody have successfully done it, it can easily beat most cards when the pipes are all enabled.. im not interested in softmodding it to quadro since i will just used it for for gaming, not for CAD. just imagine the performance boost having all pipes being enabled .... nvidia perhaps have also have similar manufacturing defects just as the ATI have done with their ATI's previous flagship the Radeon 9800. the chip
    physically has 8-pipes, but then some chips have defective pipes so instead of rejecting it, they only enabled half of those pipes then sold it bearing the suffix 9800LE which is much cheaper making it performing similarly like the 9600 siblings, some of video cards bearing this chip have been successfully modded and doesnt show any defect at all. i thought only ATI have done, but to my surprise the original GFX6800 has already have full 16 pipes but then just named it the standard 6800 for 12-pipe enabled and 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra that has all 16-pipes enabled. and there is the 6800LE which has only 8 pipes enabled, and consequently, the cheapest of them all. Softmodding this 6800LE is the way to go!!!

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast