Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default High Court Stops E-VAT collection

THE SUPREME Court yesterday suspended the implementation of the expanded value-added tax that is the centerpiece of President Macapagal-Arroyo's economic reform agenda, as she faces pressure to resign over allegations of election cheating.

Opposition congressmen asked the tribunal on Monday to block the implementation of the expanded tax, called E-VAT, which came into effect briefly on Friday.

The high court justices, voting 13 to 2 in a special en banc session, gave Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima, revenue commissioner Guillermo Parayno and Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita 10 days to answer the petition seeking to nullify the law and set July 26 for the first hearing.

The controversial E-VAT Law, or Republic Act 9337, was signed into law last May after a bruising battle between Ms Arroyo and opposition legislators who warned of its effect on prices but the government warned that failure to pass it would have worse consequences.

-------------

This came in from the inquirer today. I have mixed feelings for this. On one hand, I feel happy that prices will not go up but on the other hand, it's true that the gov't badly needs to raise money to get a good credit rating.

Default Re: High Court Stops E-VAT collection

Its shows the opposition are the true defenders of the people and not the tax thirsty Arroyo administration.Â*

Pogi points for the opposition.Â* Glorias EVAT go pffft.

The Supreme Court issued a TRO in a vote of 13-2.Â*

One of the two justices who voted against the TRO, meaning for the implementation of the Vat to continue, is that fellow from Cebu named Hilario Davide Jr. (Again!!!)Â*

He said EVAT is needed right now to augment the cash strapped treasury of the government.

Hey, thats Gloria's line!Â* So its shows that Davide and Gloria are dancing the same music.

Oh God!

This did not happen because of the opposition. You are taking credit that does not belong to you. Moreover, they did not fight E-VAT for any other reason but simply because it was GMA's idea, plain & simple.

If arroyou will give sacks of rice, build low cost homes & provide water, they will still oppose that or make a controversy. That's how stupid and bitter the opposition is.

correct ka dyan, lytslpr. And if the opposition were in Malacanang today, they would do the same thing. In this country's politics, it's no longer whether it's right or wrong, but who's doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by LytSlpr
    This did not happen because of the opposition. You are taking credit that does not belong to you.
    Give credit where credit is due! Isnt it Pimentel, Osmena, Lim, Lacson, Madrigal, the two Estradas who questioned the VAT to the Supreme Court? The TRO was based on that petition and nothing else.

Pati ito dayain nyo pa? Wag naman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    THE SUPREME Court yesterday suspended the implementation of the expanded value-added tax that is the centerpiece of President Macapagal-Arroyo's economic reform agenda, as she faces pressure to resign over allegations of election cheating.

makes me think it's one of those measures adopted by the administration to somehow regain people's trust and confidence which was partly lost from the current issues thrown against it.. the fact that the allowable input VAT has been increased to 90 percent, from 70 percent, so businessmen can pass on their savings to the consumer. i really think it’s a bad idea to impose higher taxes when you are not even sure of your own legitimacy.

i don't appreciate the court's issuance of TRO . i don't think investors will trust their money in the philippines with the judicial body interferring with the matters of economy. we need more business investors !!! but some group of people (i don't mean just the high courts, though they're one of them for sure ) are just scaring them awayÂ* .

i think the WB and IMF ang nag-pressure ni GMA to implement the E-VAT. sila man gud nag-control sa ato.hehe now nga na-suspend ang E-VAT, Peso down we go... mark my words! @whiteoleander, you're right. some groups are scaring the investers away...hehehe

E-VAT might be good as long they will give it back to us. Government will lose P45B monthly if they will not impose E-VAt.

Quote Originally Posted by marquee
    i think the WB and IMF ang nag-pressure ni GMA to implement the E-VAT. sila man gud nag-control sa ato.hehe now nga na-suspend ang E-VAT, Peso down we go... mark my words! @whiteoleander, you're right. some groups are scaring the investers away...hehehe
    EVAT is no good. The bulk of the revenues will not go to basic services but will end up in debt servicing. The Arroyo government is salivating on the prospects of getting fresh loans thats why ATAT NA ATAT i implement ang VAT.

Pero lahat ng TRO na ito, drama lang nang Malacanang to. Si GMA mismo ang nagsabi sa kanyang mga alipores sa Supreme Court na hwag munang i implement yan dahil lalong magagalit ang mga tao sa akin. Baka mapadali ang pagka talsik ko.

Moro moro lang to lahat. VAT pahirap sa bayan! Alis ka na dyan VATwoman GMA.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast