Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The BETTER alternative to MS Office...

Ability Office Pro or Basic

99% similar...Â* 100% the same feel & interface...Â* 100% compatible to MS Office.

Check out www.ability.com for more details and download the 10 day full version trial.

Exclusive reseller here in Cebu is CFS.Â* They can be reached at 3462317 or email cfscebu@pldtdsl.net

Default Re: The BETTER alternative to MS Office...

OpenOffice.org 2.0

Na-delete diay ang original nga thread ani?

Quote Originally Posted by pinadski
    OpenOffice.org 2.0
    I seriously think OpenOffice is not comparable or nowhere near MS Office nor Ability Office for that matter. Our clients range from businesses, schools, government agencies, private corporations, NGO's and EPZA companies who have been using OpenOffice following Microsoft's major crackdown on pirated copies just a couple of month's ago and they have everything to say but good comments for it nor recommend it. I believe OpenOffice "technically" was made not ultimately considering the commercial end-user in mind but for IT people to develop it to a better free (for now) Office Suite alternative.

And I also seriously think that Ability Office isn't that good either. http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...0000357,00.htm

For something that is free as in beer OO.o is pretty good, despite it's flaws (slow startup time, incompatibility with certain embedded MS objects, etc.). OpenOffice.Org was made so that people can have a choice & to encourage open standards (MS Office or your Ability Office will probably never think of embracing the OASIS OpenDocument format). IMO, this simply sounds as something that has put the commercial end-user in mind.

ڤيكتور البَرت جَبيلاغين

I would prefer OpenOffice since there are portable usb versions and it isn't bound to one OS...

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor
    And I also seriously think that Ability Office isn't that good either. http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...0000357,00.htm

For something that is free as in beer OO.o is pretty good, despite it's flaws (slow startup time, incompatibility with certain embedded MS objects, etc.). OpenOffice.Org was made so that people can have a choice & to encourage open standards (MS Office or your Ability Office will probably never think of embracing the OASIS OpenDocument format). IMO, this simply sounds as something that has put the commercial end-user in mind.
    I was almost convinced by Mr. Keizer's review but he was talking about Ability Office 2002.Â* In short, this is a stale review being dated May 8, 2002.Â* A lot has improved and I mean a lot from Ability Office 2002 to Ability Office 4.

Authors have different perceptions, experiences, biases and "reasons" not to mention the accuracy of their reviews.Â* The bottomline is the individual's or establishment's experience and if the software highly satisfies their need regardless of its flaws.

But since we are talking of reviews, it wouldn't hurt to read these http://www.ability.com/about/reviews.php?ln=en

And to quote, "...it looks promising enough to worry Microsoft."Â* It was also said, however far, Ability Office is the next best thing to MS Office.

Try typing in Ability Office 4 reviews in google.Â* I did and did not find any gross negative comment on this latest Office Suite from a lot of various review site or author.

There is also a good logical reason aside from profit and support why Ability Office is for a price and Open Office is free.Â*

Quote Originally Posted by cebu_tux
    I would prefer OpenOffice since there are portable usb versions and it isn't bound to one OS...
    i understand but this software is specifically targetting the windows market. so it really depends on every user's need or use.

Interestingly enough, it's because of the layout of Ability Office that makes people comfortable with it . That will all change though with the coming release of MS Office, which is radically different.

Openoffice 2.0 has a vastly improved layout which is also quite similar to MS Office. Also, the internal document (Open Document) format of Openoffice is also being passed for ISO certification. Europe (EU) practically is shifting use to Open Document formats, please see http://www.cospa-project.org/ an EU funded project. Massachussets also approved odf for it's format (although, seems like politics stepped in - Microsoft funded lobbyists as well as some politicos who have some vested interests).

Another interesting note is that gnumeric (linux spreadsheet) seems to attract excel users because... it looks and feels like excel. Basically it's the inertia of people getting so used to a layout that they're afraid to try anything new. People are creatures of habit.

very well said sir! with the coming out of microsoft's new baby, it will still be at the highest level of pricing. the foremost reason people or companies in the philippines forego of their hopes of using legal MS office and decided to use other office suite alternatives is the price. this is where Ability Office comes in.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast